Start Europe France increases security alert

France increases security alert

279
0

France raises the national security warning level following the attack on Strasbourg’s Christmas market . This means increased controls at borders and on Christmas markets across the country, said French Interior Minister Christophe Castaner.

According to Castaner, three people were killed in the terrorist attack and twelve were injured. The police in Strasbourg and the prefecture had previously reported two dead. Strasbourg’s mayor had reported four dead.

According to the prefecture, a man had entered the vicinity of the Christmas market around 8 pm on Tuesday evening and opened the fire. The perpetrator was not ready early Wednesday morning. The city center was closed off. The man should be arrested after a media report actually on Tuesday morning. As Interior Minister Castaner said, the suspect is known to the authorities for criminal acts – of unspecified nature.

Macron calls crisis staff

Anti-terrorism specialists from the Paris prosecutor’s office took over the investigation. Among other things, the investigation was handed over to the German secret service DGSI.

For several hours people in the city center were told not to leave. Only in the early morning did the police ask people to leave the city in a northerly direction – and not in the direction of the Neudorf district to the southeast. There had been searched for the fugitive suspect. The police called on citizens to remain calm and follow the instructions of the security forces.Macron calls crisis staff

Anti-terrorism specialists from the Paris prosecutor’s office took over the investigation. Among other things, the investigation was handed over to the German secret service DGSI.

For several hours people in the city center were told not to leave. Only in the early morning did the police ask people to leave the city in a northerly direction – and not in the direction of the Neudorf district to the southeast. There had been searched for the fugitive suspect. The police called on citizens to remain calm and follow the instructions of the security forces.

French President Emmanuel Macron convened an emergency meeting with Prime Minister Édouard Philippe and Defense Secretary Florence Paris. The federal government was „shocked by the terrible news from Strasbourg“. „Whatever motive behind the shots is: We mourn for the dead and with our thoughts and wishes we are with the injured and hopefully nobody will be in danger anymore.“

For years, France has been shaken by an Islamist terror series. Almost 250 people have died so far.