In the case of the murdered Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, the US wants to hold all those responsible accountable. US Foreign Secretary Mike Pompeo announced this yesterday in a phone conversation with Saudi crown prince Mohammed bin Salman, according to Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Heather Nauert.
Pompeo had „stressed that the US holds to account all those involved in the killing of Jamal Khashoggi, and that Saudi Arabia must do the same,“ Nauert says. Pompeo had previously said that the murder of the journalist violated „international norms“ and the US considered sanctions against those responsible in the case.
In his phone call with the heir to the throne, Pompeo also demanded a „peaceful solution“ for the years-long conflict in Yemen. All parties to the conflict should come to the negotiating table. In the Yemen conflict, an Arab military alliance led by Saudi Arabia has supported President Abd Rabbo Mansur Hadi against the Shiite Houthi rebels, including air strikes, since March 2015.
10,000 deaths in the Yemen conflict
According to UN figures, around 10,000 people have been killed in the Yemen conflict since 2014, including thousands of civilians. In addition, there is a serious food crisis in the country. Currently fierce fighting rages in the port city of Hodeida, where the bulk of goods and relief supplies come into the country.
The „Washington Post“ („WP“) had reported on Friday that the US would consider ending the refueling of the military coalition aircraft. The Pentagon did not confirm this. The behavior of Saudi Arabia in the Yemen conflict, however, is increasingly criticized internationally, especially since the death of Khashoggi.
The „WP“ columnist had gone to the Consulate of Saudi Arabia in Istanbul on October 2 to pick up a document but did not come out again. Under international pressure and after weeks of denials, Saudi Arabia finally condemned the killing of the 59-year-old, but continues to deny that the act was ordered by the Saudi leadership for Crown Prince Mohammed. Yesterday, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan confirmed the existence of sound recordings of the murder.